[WBEL-users] cups / samba printing issues

Nigel Kendrick nigel.kendrick@petdoctors.co.uk
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:03:02 +0100

I had a problem printing FROM Win2K via Cups TO a linux-hosted printer
that was solved by the following - it relates to whether Cups processes
all forms of raw job properly - I don't know whether it applies to jobs
outbound from a Linux server but it might be worth a try:

vi /etc/cups/mime.convs and uncomment the line: application/octet-stream
application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -

vi /etc/cups/mime.types and uncomment the line: application/octet-stream

Nigel Kendrick
-----Original Message-----
From: whitebox-users-admin@beau.org
[mailto:whitebox-users-admin@beau.org] On Behalf Of Daniel J. Summers
Sent: 21 September 2004 01:46
To: Whitebox Enterprise Linux Users List
Subject: [WBEL-users] cups / samba printing issues

Good evening.

I'm having some problems getting networked printing working.  I have a
computer running Windows XP Professional, with a shared HP DeskJet
3520.  The printer is shared (wide-open, always available), and the
computer is part of the SUMMERS workgroup.

On my WBEL box, I'm using the hpijs driver, using it as an HP DeskJet
3420 model (which is, what I gathered from 'net research, what you're
supposed to do).  I've configured the appropriate machine, share,
workgroup, user, and password settings within cups.  Once I complete the

configuration, I click the menu item to print a cups test page.  On the
WXP box, I see the job (3.70 MB, completely spooled), but it hangs on
the first 64 KB chunk it tries to send to the printer.

This printer works locally on the WXP box, and when I boot my WBEL box
to WXP, it works networked as well.  It seems like there's no permission

problem, but that maybe the job is being created in a way that the
printer doesn't understand.  Does anyone have any ideas on what I might
have misconfigured?

--
*Daniel J. Summers*
E-mail - 	danieljs@knology.net <mailto:danieljs@knology.net>

GEEKCODE 3.12 GCS/IT d s-:+ a C++ L++ E--- W++ N++ o? K- w !O M-- V PS+
PE++ Y? !PGP t+ 5? X+ R* tv b+ DI++ D+ G- e h---- r+++ y++++