[WBEL-users] Stop the Hardware Check

John Hinton webmaster@ew3d.com
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:25:13 -0400

Jesse wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, John Hinton wrote:
>

>>I have a USB issue. I did an install (respin1) with nousb and all went
>>well until the reboot to first start. Now it's hanging on the hardware
>>detect line. Is there anyway to kill this command from Grub or something?
>>

>I'm guessing by hardware detect line, you mean kudzu "Checking for new
>hardware...". Add 'single' to your kernel arguments line, then once in
>single user mode, do 'chkconfig kudzu off'. Ctrl-d and finish booting.

Yup and that got me past that to the next crash.

This is a Compaq Proliant 1850R (a LOT in common with the 1600
machines), one of the latest. The cure? From SmartStart turn off the
onboard SCSI ports (if you are using a controller card for you SCSI
devices). Apparently, Whitebox was looking at these devices and trying
to make a SCSI USB interface out of them? Seems that the best I can
figure from what I see flashing by on the screen during boot.

What a dawg this was to fix!!!

Best,
John Hinton