[WBEL-users] LVM update breakage

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:55:35 -0500

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 03:04:54PM +0100, Matt Dainty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone noticed that the updated lvm package has broken? It's now
> installing all of the binaries with an '.lvm1' suffix which I'm fairly
> sure is the reason a remote box that I updated has not come up, (It has
> /usr, /var, etc. on LVM).
>
> I can see this is either:
>
> 1) Package breakage, they shouldn't have the '.lvm1' suffix
> 2) The SysV script should be updated to try binaries with the suffix as
> well
> 3) There's perhaps an LVM2 package that should be installed, (certainly
> didn't get pulled in by deps).
>
> Any comment? I'm going to now try faxing a shell script :-) to put
> compat symlinks back in which to my eyes will get the box working again.

I hadn't noticed the change, but I do use LVM.  According to "last",
and rpm -q -i "lvm", I have done the install since the LVM binaries
were installed.  I'm fairly sure I've done them at home.

What is very, very odd, is that I don't see it in rc.local or
rc.sysinit.  Ahhh, I see.  My vgchange and vgscan are inside of my
initrd.img file.  My / directory is on LVM so the vgscan and
vgchange are included in the initrd image.  My only problem might be
that creating the initrd image might not include it in the future.

However, my kernel was installed first.  So that might be the
reason, the LVM utilities didn't get updated until afterwards.  So
the ones with the proper name still existed.

Thanks for the heads up, we use LVM on all of our machines, it could
have been catastrophic to have that not work.  Fortunately, it looks
like I can always go back a version.  I'm guessing, this is a
problem where the LVM tools are built differently by RHEL then by
WBEL, I'll have to look at the package to be sure.  I'll bet the
.lvm1 suffix is a "%define", that RHEL overrode on the command line
when they built the package.  At least I sure hope they did,
otherwise, I'm having a harder and harder time seeing why they put
the "Enterprise" part in the name.

	Thanks,
		Kirby