[WBEL-users] kerneli.org down?

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:54:51 -0500

	This looks all wrong to me.  Last time I investigated cryptoloop
(using kernel encryption and losetup to create a loop device which
is encrypted automatically) the problem was that:

losetup only supports DES and XOR encryption.  The maintainer
(Andries Brouwer) has the patches to support AES encryption, but
wasn't applying them because of some sort of legal issue (I thought
it was related to copyright, but it might be a crypto legality
issue).

If you go grab the Mandrake losetup SRPM (which I believe is
actually util-linux), they added AES support according to the
changelog in early 2002:

* Tue Jan 15 2002 Chmouel Boudjnah <chmouel@mandrakesoft.com> 2.11m-6mdk
  - Add encyrpted option for loop-AES.

	The kernel from RedHat doesn't have an DES (XOR isn't very good
encryption) module, it supports the updated standard AES.

	You had to fix one of the two tools to support what the other
one did last time I looked.  I believe I found the crytoloop patches
to make it work with AES and had it all working under RH7.1 or
RH7.2, but was reluctant to deploy it given that everytime losetup
was updated I had to rebuild the SRPM.

	Thanks,
		Kirby