[WBEL-users] LVM update breakage

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:53:35 -0500

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 09:29:18PM -0500, John Morris wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Matt Dainty wrote:
>
> > Has anyone noticed that the updated lvm package has broken? It's now
> > installing all of the binaries with an '.lvm1' suffix which I'm fairly
> > sure is the reason a remote box that I updated has not come up, (It has
> > /usr, /var, etc. on LVM).
>
> Package breakage because I built it chrooted on a FC2 machine with the 2.6
> kernel.  A fixed package is working it's way out to the mirrors now.

It's now three days later, I still don't see any of these mirrors:

ncsu.edu
esat.net
belnet.be
wicks.co.nz
gd.tuwien.ac.at
kspei.com

The phantomhosting.com doesn't even have the broken update from the
Sept 17, 2004.  The last update they have in the i386 dir is from
May 2004.

ftp.opensourcemirrors.org doesn't resolve DNS.

ftp.jach.hawaii.edu is just taking an forever to render using
Mozilla.  I'm not sure if it's a DNS problem or that it's just an
incredibly slow link from here.

	I didn't see it in the Whitebox-announce archives (I searched
the Sept 2004 file on the web for "lvm" it came up empty, I'm
guessing that's because it's only security errata that get put out
there, not all errata).

	Oddly enough, I can download it straight off of the
whiteboxlinux.org site.  I thought access to /pub was cut off from
the general public.  I can see the file, but it's not any of the
mirrors.  The time stamp would indicate that it's been at least 36
hours since the file was created (which is also 12 hours after the
mail message in which you said it was released to the mirrors).
Just noting that for the oddity, not that it's a problem.  My only
concern is how long mirror propogation is taking.  I use LVM on
absolutely every machine I have.  I'd prefer not to have to go hand
install this, or munge my local yum repo.  I'd have to disable my
rsync mirroring until the remote mirrors get caught up.

	Thanks,
		Kirby