[WBEL-users] Preparing Security Updates

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:30:47 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Milan [iso-8859-2] Ker¹lįger wrote:

> I really don't underestand why they are on CD but in another directory.
> Maybe to make a pain to users because there is no reason to do this as
> another non-RH-published packages are in the tree (*devel* packages,
> MySQL, PostgreSQL server and so on...).

Not actually having seen a shipping copy of RHEL3 when putting the first
WBEL set together the only rules I could use were the following:

The SRPMS on ftp.redhat.com are considered canon.  (up2date and yum being
the exceptions)

Anything which issued from those packages was included in WBEL.  RedHat
themselves omitted some of the -devel packages but a) I had no way to know
which ones and b) I thought that was dumb, especially for a rebuild
intended for Open Source/Free Software types instead of Support Contract
Security Blanket types.  FOSS types type "configure ; make install"
without even thinking about it.

Anything needed to build the official packages are lostRPMS and lostSRPMS.
Those packages are only included to allow rebuilding with the same
versions used in my rebuild.  They should really only be used in that
context since none of the completed binaries need any of them and most are
deprecated.  But I know I use lynx on a regular basis.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!