[WBEL-users] nvidia nforce boards and integrated NIC

King, John (Greg) (LMIT-HOU) Greg.King@lmit.com
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 08:42:25 -0500

Anyone else using these boards? Specifically the one at home is a K7N2
Delta2 / NVIDIA Nforce2 Ultra 400

The problem is the 2.4 kernel does not detect the NIC. Some research
verified this.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=233608&hi
ghlight=nvidia+lan

It appears the 2.6 kernel has the ability to detect the NIC using the
'forcedeth' driver. For 2.4 kernels I am guessing I will need to download
the new unified driver from NVIDIA

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0283

Then have it rebuild for the 2.4 kernel. Also from reading i need to do this
before installing the NVIDIA graphic drivers.

Has anyone on the list done this yet? If so care to share what you did and
any 'gotchas' that could save some time?

I would rather stay with WBEL (although I run an FC2 workstation i would
still prefer WBEL for the server) even though FC2 has the forcedeth driver
in the 2.6 kernel already.

thanks

Greg King
LMIT