[WBEL-users] easy to use firewall?

Ganeshram Iyer ganeshramiyer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 11:37:42 CDT 2005

On Apr 3, 2005 1:33 AM, Phil Barnett <philb at philb.us> wrote:
> On Saturday 02 April 2005 11:18 pm, Ganeshram Iyer wrote:
>
> > Thanks Terry but this machine is not merely a stand-alone firewall. So
> > from my first view of ipcop I dont know if it suitable.
>
> You are trading security for convenience. It's a bad trade.

Phil: Unfortunately we have a shortage of PCs in our tiny lab. We have
more users than machines and time sharing is very common. I was lucky
that someone hacked into our Windows Server thereby allowing me to
push the Linux server option. But the downside is the tradeoff. We do
not have compilers on it and use it for these purposes alone:
1) Apache HTTP/HTTPS
2) SAMBA
3) SSH

There is an external firewall and this Linux box is not the firewall
for the lab, just to protect the Linux box.
But I will reconsider my decision.

Randy: Thanks for your input. I will work on it and repost if I have questions.
Thanks
Ganesh