[WBEL-users] Recent Slashdotting

Karl R. Balsmeier karl at sfdata.net
Mon Apr 4 23:30:34 CDT 2005

Yes, the mirrors and their associated traffic [jams] pretty much took the
'enterprise factor' out.  A hardship of sorts for whitebox to have to
endure, -but it forced a switch to FC2, so I could run Cpanel, which I was
excited at first to see supported Whitebox.

But during the install, the updates were simply too slow for us/ or Cpanel
staff, to really work with.

Sad, because my earlier machines updated faster, nice and clean builds.

Oh well.

-krb

> On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 18:29 -0500, Jamey Fletcher wrote:
>> Tom Cat wrote:
>>
>> > Speaking of /.  I noticed a number of them seem to be confused by
>> > whiteboxlinux.com and whiteboxlinux.net
>>
>> > Can something be done about this?  Had I found that site instead of
>> > the correct site, I would have thought the project was dead and gone
>> > and I would have used CentOS (I almost went with them, but WBEL's
>> > background made it sound like they have more of a reason to continue
>> > to exist).
>>
>> Unfortunately, no.  The gentleman who owns the domains was one of the
>> first users of WhiteBox, but found that he didn't mesh with the way John
>> wanted to run the community.  He has since moved on to the CAoS project,
>> where I think he found a community more to his liking.  He is, however,
>> still subscribed to the list.
> ----
> it would seem that the decent thing to do would be for him to donate the
> domain over to John/whitebox
>
> I have started using CentOS myself as their updates are more timely,
> especially the update 4 on RHEL 3 and their RHEL 4 has been out since
> the end of February.
>
> It really has been the inconsistency of the mirrors that mostly pushed
> me to CentOS but I do still have some systems on WBEL and I'll keep toes
> in both ponds for a while.
>
> Craig

Karl R. Balsmeier
Sr. Systems Engineer
SFDATA.NET, LLC
415.608.2681
---
NOTICE: This message may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this
for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action
based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this
message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and