[WBEL-users] Replacement for imapd?

Pete Biggs pete at physchem.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 6 04:13:58 CDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 20:21 -0700, Benjamin Smith wrote:
> I'm using sendmail/Imapd as configured by default so that email resides on the
> server and is backed up.
>
> However, we're heavy email users, and parsing a 100 MB mail spool file is
> starting to whale the tar out of our itty bitty mail server.

I had the same issue here - moved over to Dovecot and everything calmed
down.  The problem is that the standard IMAP server reads the whole mail
box into memory no matter what it does, dovecot maintains a message
index which means that it only reads the part of the mailbox that it
needs.  Things would be better if you could use maildir format -
unfortunately, for legacy reasons, I can't.

P.

--
Pete Biggs :{)       pete @ physchem.ox.ac.uk     pete.biggs @ chem.ox.ac.uk
01865 275490 (Work)  pete1biggs @ gmail.com       pete @ biggs.org.uk