[WBEL-users] How to set up a RAID-1 on a new box

Alon js at wsco.com
Wed Apr 13 16:07:50 CDT 2005

Hi Y'all,

I've done it before,. but beats me how I've done it.

I have a new dual xeon server.
It has two 80GB SATA HDs and 4GB of RAM.

I need to partition the HDs in a RAID-1 with the following partitioning:

/              1000MB     ( 1GB)     -   Exact size   -   Does this need to
be primary?
/boot      1000MB     ( 1GB)     -   Exact size   -  Does this need to be
primary?
/var       40000MB    (40GB)     -   Exact size   -  Does this need to be
primary?
/usr       10000MB    (10GB)      -   Exact size   -  Does this need to be
primary?
/home   10000MB    (10GB) (fill to maximum)  - Does this need to be primary?
/tmp         4000MB    ( 4GB)      -   Exact size   - Does this need to be
primary?
/swap      4000MB    (  4GB)     -   Exact size   -  Does this need to be
primary?

I have respin-1 (I will download respin-2 in a day or two, but the install
process should be the same):

What are the steps to make this happen?

The plan is to have a Mirrored HDs solution for a HD fail situation.

When using the installer of disk 1, I'm being prompted with the Manuall
Partitioning.

My question is as follow:

sda 80GB
sdb 80GB

How do I go about installing it?

>From previous install I think I had to declare each partition on 'sda' and
then declare it again (same size) in 'sdb' and
then 'magically' tell them about each other and have give birth to an   mdx
device.

I'm using ext3.

I tried to create everything in sda. No problem.
But when attempting to create sdb,.. I'm being prompted with 'partition
already exists' (as  /var was already created in sda).
Do I need to give it a different naming convesion?

for instance:

/              1000MB     ( 1GB)     - in sda it will be called      /a
and in    sdb it will be called    /b
/boot      1000MB     ( 1GB)     - in sda it will be called      /boota
and in    sdb it will be called    /bootb
/var       40000MB    (40GB)     - in sda it will be called      /vara
and in    sdb it will be called    /varb
/usr       10000MB    (10GB)      - in sda it will be called      /usra
and in    sdb it will be called    /usrb
/home   10000MB    (10GB)     - in sda it will be called      /homea
and in    sdb it will be called    /homeb
/tmp         4000MB    ( 4GB)     - in sda it will be called      /tmpa
and in    sdb it will be called    /tmpb
/swap      4000MB    (  4GB)     - in sda it will be called      /swapa
and in    sdb it will be called    /swapb

??

Or,. am I missing it entirely and the process should be entirely different?
Can someone walk me through the process?

1. Add the partitions to sda using ext3
2. Click on  RAID button and select Create RAID..       Something like that.

I don't have the system in front of me - the server is at the NOC, and I'll
only be there again tomorrow morning.
However, I remember the menus pretty good after many failed attempts.

I appreciate the help on this.

- Alon
js at wsco.com