[WBEL-users] RAID problem

Simone simone72 at email.it
Fri Apr 15 10:44:40 CDT 2005

Hi list, I am having the following problem on one of the servers. Due to
a IDE controller malfunctioning on the mobo, my partition /dev/hdc2 part
of a software raid 1, disappeared. Went down in the server room,
rebooted, readded the hdc2 to the array, started rebuild process, but
when it was almost done the /dev/hda2 partition disappeared from the
system. So now I probably have usable data on the hda2 partition, but
this is set as the faulty one of the raid, so I cannot run a raidhotadd
otherwise the useless data on hdc2 will overwrite the hopefully good
ones on hda2. This is the situation if I start the raid:

md2 : active raid1 hdc2[1]
      4915776 blocks [2/1] [_U]

Tried to raidhotremove hdc but it won't let me, tried to raidsetfaulty
hdc, no success. The only thing I can think of right now is to stop md2,
then dd all the datas from hda to hdc restart md2 and see if it works. I
thought perhaps there's a way to tell raid to start md2 using just hda2.

I will be looking for an answer on the net, meanwhile if you have any
suggestion to get the server up and running I would be very grateful.

Thanks, Simone