[WBEL-users] Installation problem...

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling at birddog.com
Wed Apr 20 17:12:28 CDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 10:51:26PM +0100, Vic wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> I've just picked up a Viglen LX2 server, and I'm trying to get WB
> installed on it.
>
> This unit has 2 SCSI HDDs on one bus, and a CD and tape drive on another.
>
> I've got the install process going through to the point where it should
> start installing packages - but it doesn't. On the terminal screen
> (<Ctrl><Alt>F4), I'm getting messages about aborts due to timeout from the
> sym53c8xx driver.
>
> I don't even know where to start looking for solutions to this, and Google
> isn't much help. Anyone know?

Hmmm, standard things about SCSI.  First, I'd disconnect the tape
drive (and the CD if you can do the install another way).  Then do
the standards SCSI things: check the cables, check the termination.

Does the BIOS see everything upon posting?  Do the SCSI Id's match
what you believe them to be set to?

If you posted the full error message that might be helpful.  I can't
recall ever using a sym53c8xx driver personally.

Do you have two SCSI cards in there?  I know I've had problems with
Adaptec and LSI cards that don't mix and match with older versions
of the kernel.  I believe that's been fixed by respin 2 however.

Have you tried installing *BSD, Windows, or something else to
confirm that the hardware works as configured.  Have you run any
SCSI testing.  Have you booted with a LiveCD (gentoo, knoppix, any
of the various RescueCD's).

    My first guess is that something simple is wrong with the SCSI,
especially if you hooked it up yourself or if you've never had an OS
installed on the machine.  Duplicate SCSI Id's, wrong settings in
the BIOS, bad termination, bad cables.  Generally that's been my
problem.  After that, it might be a RHEL specific thing.  I'd try a
different distro (LiveCD's are good for this) or a different OS
altogether to see if it is the hardware.

    Kirby