[WBEL-users] WBEL, Clustering, GFS, and redundancy

Sam Hillaire samhillaire at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 25 11:47:32 CDT 2005

Some answers about GFS:

GFS is specifically a clustered file system, meaning that it is designed to have multiple hosts
connect to it and perform read and write operations to the disk device in an orderly manner.  The
file system itself (at least the quorum portion) allows for voting for which host gets to perform
the next write function to the disk device.

>From my experience (Oracle DBA), the OP is looking at some way to create and maintain a standby
database directly from the OS level, which GFS is not designed to do.  With my environment, I just
use Oracle functionality to create and maintain my standby databases.

For GFS links, I think this is the best starting link (http://www.redhat.com/software/rha/gfs/) at
RedHat's site.

(Just my opinion)  My skewed version of history:  a portion of Oracle's Maximum Availability
Architecture (RAC) relies on a cluster of database hosts connecting to a shared disk device (SAN,
NAS, SCSI, etc).  With database file sizes in the GBs, a file system had to be designed to allow
for concurrent writes to the same file but different blocks, allowing near optimal performance
from the multiple hosts.  Oracle devised a clustered filesystem (OCFS) but it had some severe
limitations as a filesystem.  Hence, I think Oracle went shopping for a better solution and turned
to RedHat for it, since Oracle was RedHat's launch partner for GFS, but don't quote me on that.

Sam Hillaire
samhillaire at yahoo.com