[WBEL-users] 2nd disk

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling at birddog.com
Thu Apr 28 12:19:37 CDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:43:34AM -0700, John Lowry wrote:

> Kirby,
>
> Not a var to be found:
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> /dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
> noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> /dev/sda                /mnt/flash              vfat noauto,user 0 0
>
> but.....as both the Suse and WB disks should have '/' as a label, that's
> probably the problem.  Interesting, as I recall, that mandrake and suse don't
> have problems with this....
>
> --John

Then you are having the problem I'm used to.  You sure, you are
mounting the WBEL disk as your root and not the Suse?  Because you
aren't using that /etc/fstab when you are booting.  With the above
fstab, there is no way using the default RH scripts it would even
try to mount a /var filesystem.  Which means, you aren't using that
fstab, or you have modified the boot scripts to mount the /var
filesystem.

I know that RHL9 would boot the last disk with the correct label
(I've had this problem several times, the easiest fix is to put the
RH disk you want to boot as the last IDE drive detected).  So if you
had three disks labelled "/", the last one would get mounted.  If
that is true in this case, it sure looks like the initrd script is
mounting your SuSe filesystem as the root (however, you are loading
the WBEL kernel).  Which would be confusing to say the least.

    Kirby