[WBEL-users] WBEL 4 Updates

Cris Rhea crhea at mayo.edu
Fri Aug 12 11:14:28 CDT 2005

> > I will certainly consider your advice about switching to CentOS. It
> > seemed to me that both distributions had a similar goal of providing an
> > open-source "clone" of RHEL while providing support via a grass-roots
> > user base.
> >

> They are similar, but not the same.  BPPL has only one dev.  Period.
> CentOS has multiple devs, more architectures, etc. etc.  But they have
> gotten in the habit of editing various pieces of software to suit
> their needs (specifically Firefox/Mozilla bookmarks and the cert lib -
> both of which frustrate me, cert lib for upstream compatibility
> reasons, bookmarks because then I have to recreate all the quick
> searches myself).  Sometimes edits are necessary because RedHat didn't
> publish the actual SRPM they used to build the software so CentOS
> _must_ edit it to get it to build.  But sometimes the edits are not
> necessary and I worry about that seeping in further.
>
> Greg

Thanks for the explanation. I don't have a ton of experience with CentOS
yet, but I share some of the same feelings...

The WBEL philosophy seems to want to change as little as possible to
protect copyright/trademark issues with RedHat, while CentOS seems
to want to "fix" things as they go...

--
 Cristopher J. Rhea                     Mayo Foundation
 Research Computing Facility             Pavilion 2-25