[WBEL-users] WBEL 4 Updates

Cris Rhea crhea at mayo.edu
Fri Aug 12 13:02:28 CDT 2005

> > I'm using the x86_64 version of WBEL4....
>
> Ah, we don't have any 64bit boxes yet so if it's specific to them it's
> not something I'd have encountered.
>
> > Yum runs, but finds no updates ("No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion").
> >
> > If I manually FTP to one of the mirror sites and look in the
> > updates/x86_64 directory, there are clearly packages more recent than
> > what's installed on my system.
>
> Could it be the repository information on the mirrors for x86_64 being
> borked? Which mirrors are you using?

I'm using the repos file that came with WBEL4... if yum tries them in
order, I think I'm using

ftp://ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/whitebox/4/en/updates/

I've tried this several times (with some of the sites timing out and
moving on to the next entry) with the same results.

Since I have already manually applied the existing updates, running it
now (correctly) gives me the "No Packages marked..." message.

Thanks Will for the cookbook on setting up a yum repos. I have not done that
before. We're getting enough servers running Linux that this may make
more sense that simply going out to the Internet for updates as needed.
My problem is that I've still got servers on all sorts of releases
(everything from RH 7.1 forward).   Hopefully, with releases slowing down
to a more planned pace, I can get most of my stuff upgraded to EL3 or EL4.

(But hey, I've still got Sun servers running Solaris 2.5.1...)

Thanks for the info!

--
 Cristopher J. Rhea                     Mayo Foundation
 Research Computing Facility             Pavilion 2-25