[WBEL-users] WBEL country news

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Aug 17 11:35:28 CDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 07:04 -0600, Jeff Fisher wrote:
> Vicki Reeves wrote:

> > As for the questions about helping, I don't think it is so much that
> > John does not want help as that he hasn't had time to figure out how the
> > work can be shared.
>
> I would agree with that statement. Figuring out how to give up (some)
> control is often one of the hardest things to do. Let's hope that when
> John has the time, he will seriously consider building a team to help him.
----
I think John had plenty of offers to help - which is why most of them
went over to CAOS (now CentOS). John has been pretty clear that his
efforts and responsibilities to Beauregard Parish Library are first and
foremost which is why he has been less than eager to allow others to do
any packaging since he is less than willing to allow other's packaging
to infiltrate his charge - the library.
----

> Also, clarifying his stance on what WBEL is or isn't would also be nice.
>  There are clearly two views on this list -- people who think if we
> don't like WBEL's structure to move along and use CentOS and people
> (like myself) who think John wanted more than that when he started WBEL.

----
I haven't seen any wavering on his stance at all - he has been clear
about it.

The problem is obvious - two distributions WBEL 3 & WBEL 4, multiple
hardware platforms, updates, respins, etc. It's a workload and cycle
that isn't going to conform with the other demands of his employer.

The problems with db4 updates on WBEL 3 demonstrates the
problem...problem and solution are identified and it will still take
some time to get them rebuilt and sent to the mirrors. Of course this
may only affect a handful of people but to them (me being one of them),
I was smacked by the problem and had to find my own way through to a
solution.

CentOS, having more bodies doing packaging, more hardware supported,
more eyeballs looking, testing, reporting has made it become a more
vibrant distro not locked in to the needs of Beauregard Parish Library.

This in no way diminishes John's efforts and his generosity.

Craig