[WBEL-users] Tired of crashing

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov
Thu Dec 15 08:39:36 CST 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 20:04 +0100, Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I make this post, before I'll kill myself :)
>
> I'm trying to rebuild glibc from ftp.redhat.com. The glibc package is
> glibc-2.3.4-2.13.src.rpm
>
> The problem comes when testing NPTL. I get:
>
> Failed to kill child process: No such process.
>
> I've tried for three times and now I don't know what more do.
>
> Please, help.

No idea how to help with rebuilding without more information, but could
suggest that CentOS has RPMS built for glibc-2.3.4-2.13.x86_64 and
glibc-2.3.4-2.13.i686.  No guarantee that they will work with your
system without getting all other related updates.  The glibc stuff is
very core to the OS so the problem may not be specifically with your
rebuild but with other packages that don't match the glibc version.

May be heresy on the WhiteBox list, but I'd suggest just getting the the
CentOS 4.2 ISOs (http://www.centos.org/) and doing an anaconda
"upgradeany" upgrade to get the latest glibc and other updates.  Timely
updates was why I jumped from WhiteBox to CentOS when version 4 hit the
streets some months ago.

An alternative update strategy would be to manually install centos-
release and associated config files for yum from centos-yumconf RPMS to
point to the CentOS repos then doing a yum upgrade.  Either approach may
be problematic if you have a broken system from attempts to build
updated packages.  Might be time for a fresh install.

> Note: the first line was a joke ;)

Hope so.

Good luck,
Phil