[WBEL-users] multiple md devices & lvm

Toby Bluhm tkb9 at adelphia.net
Tue Feb 8 07:59:17 CST 2005

Has anyone tried using lvm on a box that has more than one md device with one device being raid5?

The box has / & /boot on mirrored md. I can create many more striped or mirrored devices with the other disks & add them to lvm, create a vg, create a lv, create ext3 fs and it all works fine. However, if I make a raid5, add it to lvm, etc it all works fine until I reboot - system complains it can't find ext2 superblocks on the lv.  If I just put the fs right on the md, that works fine too. Just seems that when lvm is involved, it goes down the toilet.

I have other wb3 boxes using lvm and a raid5 as the only md device with no problems.  I ran into this before, on a rh9 box, but I thought it was due to me trying & tweaking to get xfs & other stuff working using a stock kernel., non-standard rpms, etc.

Is this an lvm thing or a RedHat thing?

Thanks