[WBEL-users] multiple md devices & lvm

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling at birddog.com
Tue Feb 8 15:22:22 CST 2005

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 04:10:57PM -0500, Toby Bluhm wrote:

[snip description of the problem, and evidence I have it working]
> > There are three ways to do this:
> >
> > 1.  Do it by hand by munging the initrd by mounting it loopback.
> >
> > 2.  Just uninstall the kernel, and then reinstall the kernel.
> > (Alternatively, install an older kernel, reboot onto it, then
> > uninstall the current kernel, then reinstall it, then reboot to the
> > newer kernel).  That should fix the problem.
> >
> > 3.  Run mkinitrd by hand with the proper options.
> >

> I did run mkinitrd once everything was setup and running. But I did not specify any modules, just a naked mkinitrd:
>
> mv /boot/initrd-2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp.img /boot/initrd-2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp.img.bak
> mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp.img 2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp
> llilo -v ( just a sanity check )

[snip lots of other discussion...]

It is important you include xor, if you tell it just RAID5, it will
include that, but when the add is attempted it'll fail because it
needs xort added.

# mkinitrd --with=raid5 --with=xor /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname -r`
# lilo -v

I haven't read what mkinitrd reads to find your modules.  My guess
is that it looks at /etc/raidtab (from quickly scanning the man
page).  You might try see if you have it in your /etc/raidtab.

If you makes you feel any better, I had to deal with all this at
least three times before I remember that's what the problem is now.

	Thanks,
		Kirby