[WBEL-users] More than 2 GIGs of RAM

Wed Feb 9 17:50:09 CST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 12:06 -0500, Jeff Macdonald wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 11:35:33 -0500 (EST), William Hooper
> <whooperhsd2 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > Jeff Macdonald said:
> > > Hi,
> > > I have a machine with 8 Gigs of RAM, how do I get whitebox to use all
> > > of it and still have SMP? I see the hugemem kernel, but I'm wondering if
> > > there's a different way (without having to recompile).
> >
> > IIRC (and the archives back me up) the hugemem kernel is already compiled
> > with SMP support.
> >

> Ok, I'm confused now. Reading the docs seems to indicate I should not
> have to use hugemen unless there is 16Gs or more. Is it possible to
> access all the memory but just setting mem=8192M with the standard
> kernel?

The release notes for RHEL-3 do say the hugemem kernel is required for
more than 16gb of RAM (implying you can use a different kernel for less
than 16gb RAM) ... but the this is from the install RHEL-3 installation
manual:

"If the system is i686-based and contains more than 4 gigabytes of RAM,
install the kernel-hugemem package built for the i686 architecture as
well (the kernel version might vary)"

So, you might be able to install the SMP kernel with 8GB, or you can
install hugemem kernel.

--
Johnny Hughes
<http://www.HughesJR.com/>