[WBEL-users] Prevent users from shutdown

Ganeshram Iyer ganeshramiyer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 13:11:21 CST 2005

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/ref-guide/s1-pam-console.html
> Regards,
> P.C.

Thanks for the reply P.C. I have tried to implement your suggestions
but had a few more questions regarding this. On redhat's site I found
this in the KB and followed it to deny users access to halt, reboot,
poweroff.
=====
Issue:
How do I disable user access to console programs?
Resolution:
rm -f /etc/security/console.apps/poweroff
rm -f /etc/security/console.apps/halt
rm -f /etc/security/console.apps/reboot
=====
It works but for one little annoyance. If the user selects the
reboot/shutdown option in the log-off dialog then they are presented
with a error box that simply says "Unknown error" and then logs them
off.

While this is not a showstopper, is there anyway I can modify the
log-off dialog to remove those options or alternatively present a "You
are not authorized to perform this action" dialog box instead of the
"Unknown error" dialog? Where would I find info regarding such
customization? redhat? gnome?
Thanks in advance. I really appreciate your help.
Ganesh