[WBEL-users] EXT3 file system problems with ASUS A7V motherboard

Ski Dawg wb at skidawg.org
Sat Feb 12 15:08:02 CST 2005

Sorry if this message comes through twice, I accidentally posted the
first time from an account not subscribed to the list.

Edward Lauzier wrote:
> I have two Athlon 650 MHZ boxes that are having problems since I've
> upgraded them from RH 8 to WBEL 3R1.  On one box, I'm only using the
> IDE controllers on the motherboard and am now getting an ocassional
> kernel panic saying that there is an ext3 file system writing problem.

We were having this same problem where I work on RedHat Enterprise 3
Workstation systems. For us, the kernel panic happens when we try to
reboot the system. After looking into it, we discovered that is it a
know issue with RedHat, but they haven't been able to fix it (first saw
this over a year ago).

Basically this happens when we write a lot of data (over 5 gigs within
an hour) to an ext3 partition, then try to reboot the system. There is a
bug within how RedHat is using ext3 that is causing the kernel panic
when we rebooted the system.

We got around this issue by making the one area where we are writing a
lot of data it own partition and then mounting that partition as ext2.
You loose the journal capability of ext3, but the kernel panic went
away.

Also, we have just started testing this with RHEL 3, update 3 and so far
it is looking promising that they may have fixed this issue in this
newer release.

HTH,
--
Doug