[WBEL-users] A whole bevy of questions...

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Feb 17 19:28:10 CST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 13:18 -0800, kirby wrote:
> I have been tweaking around with White-Box to do a little Oracle Database
> training/testing for myself at home.  It has worked fine.
>
> Now that I am past that I am starting to play around quite a bit more with
> Linux as a home box.. And I have questions coming out of my ears... If these
> are in the FAQ I apologize, but I didn't see them...
>
> 1) If I am installing other applications that are supposed to successfully
> run on Red Hat ... Which ones should I be using?  FC1, FC2, FC3, RHEL9?  I
> am just a bit confused on the version numbering and why there are 4 versions
> of a program.  Are they that finicky on libraries and compatibility?
>
> 2) The application I am in particular trying to bring up is mythtv.  Sort of
> a free TiVo.
> Has anyone done this successfully?  Many of dependencies have installed
> fine, but a couple, like ivtv, have not.
> 2a) I have hit some snags with kernel modules not being found.  Bttv and a
> couple of others.  Can someone explain how to add a module to the kernel?
> /sbin/modprobe says they aren't there.  Probably intentional, but I now want
> to add them back in.
>
> 3) I am installing a raft of applications to bring this up... My prior Unix
> experience has been Solaris, AIX, HP-UX on bigger boxes running one
> application ... Oracle.  So I am encountering issues I haven't had to deal
> with before.
> How do people organize 30-50+ packages that they are installing?  I started
> with one 'Install' directory, but that is getting unmanageable.
>
> 4) ... With all these questions does anyone have a good book or site to
> recommend that answers this level of questions?  A book is preferred...
-----
If it were me, I'd probably be using FC-3 and Axel Thimms repository for
installing and I'm sure that jarrod wilson has a web page on this - he's
on the MythTv mail list.

With FC-3, you only need to add Axel's repository to yum.conf or install
his apt and then

apt-get install mythtv-suite

and you're done - unless of course, you want to go through all the
effort of downloading and compiling all the tarballs and dealing with
the dependencies.

There are a lot of things that I love about RHEL and the clones but
running MythTV would not be one of them since it has been more slanted
towards 'stable' packaging and MythTV is slanted more towards edge
technology (edge being Fedora Core).

craig