[WBEL-users] What to do with idle bandwidth and processor?

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling at birddog.com
Fri Feb 25 09:11:04 CST 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 11:19:11PM -0800, kirby wrote:
> So ... Being a civic minded type.. Any ideas on what to do with my spare
> bandwidth and CPU?

If I was civic minded, and wasn't concerned about the security risks
of it, I'd run folding at HOME.  Assuming it's still around.  It was a
protien modeling simulation.  I believe that it's goal is to help
simulate molecular activity to help find a cure for cancer and other
diseases.

My security concerns are simple.  It's source code I don't have
access to, and it communicates over an a network connection.  I
protect my machines by upgrading early and often.  Follow that up
with never running anything with a network connection I don't have
to.

If they would just e-mail me work units, and let me respond via
e-mail.  I'd probably run it.

Thanks,
	Kirby