[WBEL-users] Pilgrims progress -- New install after up2date no keyboard

Craig White craigwhite@azapple.com
Sat, 01 Jan 2005 23:11:17 -0700

On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 00:08 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Dave and Paul (and any others with good ideas!)
>
> At 05:48 PM 12/31/2004, Paul wrote:
>
> > > <c-a-d> brings up a strangely empty dialog, but knowing the content, I was
> > > able to just logoff.  This brought me back to character mode.  I really
> > > logged out, come in as root, and things work.
> >
> >Hmmm,
> >Could be a messed up Gnome/KDE session settings that is causing it.
> >These are nomally set the first time a user logs into the system to the
> >system defaults.
> >
> >Could you create a new user account and try logging in as that and then
> >do startx and see what happens?
>
> OK.  I created the new id using the graphical user and group tool.
>
> Rebooted, at level 3.  Logged in with the new id and did a startx.
>
> I saw some messages about creating something, and then the GUI came up.
>
> Now I am sitting with no text and some sort of error/warning dialog box
> that all I can see is a big X
>
> At this point unless someone has some great insight on monday I am going to
> rebuild this box...
>
> Do the build, but NOT install KDE
>          Only reason I installed KDE is that I read it has a tool for DHCP
> that gnome does not have.
>
> up2date the kernel only and check everything
> then up2date all the packages.
>
> I need this system for some testing.  And in a week it is off to 802.1 and
> then 802.11 meetings that I am not ready for (some of it is with some
> testing that I was to do with this box!).
----
I have watched this thread and cannot figure out why you are having such
a hard time.

In your user directory - whichever user you are logged on to before
typing startx

as user, try typing 'switchdesk GNOME' or 'switchedesk KDE'

for more info type 'man switchdesk'

as root
# cat /etc/sysconfig/desktop
DESKTOP="GNOME"

This is what would run if user has no preferences.

I believe that it's hard not to get KDE and GNOME at least partially
installed. Unless hard drive space is at a premium, install them both.

Craig