[WBEL-users] Re: Latest whitebox kernel.

keith morse kgmorse@mpcu.com
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:42:10 -0800

liz wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> First of all :) Thank you for all your help so far :) I have another
> question ( Hopefully I will be able to answer questions one day)
>
> I was attempting to update the kernel on one of my server and noticed it
> installed  2.4.21-27.0.1.ELsmp, the latest kernel reported by kernel.org
> is 2.4.28. An I just grabbing the wrong updates?

Depends on the context.  For a "roll your own kernel" approach it is pretty dated.  But for Whitebox
Linux and also Redhat Enterprise Linux 3.0 it is the most up to date kernel released.  Read the
following URL to get some insight into Redhat's philosophy about back porting.

http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_backport.html