[WBEL-users] newbie - kernel and other upgrades questions

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Jan 21 23:25:52 CST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 04:34 +0200, Alon wrote:
> Hi William,
>
> thanks for the insight about the mirorr sites :)
> I also had an exclude line that had kernel* in it, and obviously it didn't
> update the kernel.
>
> With that out of the way, I have few more questions:
>
> 1. going back to lm_sensors or any other sensor option,. how would I be able
> to get any temp info, fan RPM etc?
>  I have :
>
> rpm -q kernel-unsupported
> kernel-unsupported-2.4.21-27.0.1.EL
>
> So,. I'm current with the kernel and the kernel unsupported module.
> My question then is, how to obtain the reading of heat etc.
>
> I tried the following:
>  modprobe i2c-proc
> modprobe: Can't locate module i2c-proc
----
just for s&g's - did you check out the documentation
in /usr/share/doc/lm_sensors-2.6.5   ?
----

> 2. MySql - currently I have
>
> mysql --version
> mysql  Ver 12.22 Distrib 4.0.17, for pc-linux (i686)
>
> How do I upgrade it using yum to 4.0.23 which is current production version?
---
ain't gonna happen - mysql-4 isn't part of RHEL 3  It will be part of
RHEL 4 - I guess they've worked out licensing issues

You are gonna struggle getting it installed and working if you need
things like mod_auth_mysql or php-mysql

Craig