[WBEL-users] laptop recommendation

Timothy Chen Allen timothychenallen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 10:26:36 CST 2005

I've got it running on my Dell Inspiron 7000 just fine.  It's actually
running Oracle 9i  Server Enterprise Edition (it gets sloooow when the
server is up, though).

The one thing I had to do extra on this box was to use rpm to install the

/Redhat/RPMS/kernel-unsupported-2.4.21-15.EL.i686.rpm

to get my PCMCIA 3Com 3C574-TX Fast EtherLink 16-Bit PC Card to work
and connect to the network.

All this said, if you have the bucks, go buy a nice new one, the Dell
Inspiron 7000 gets a little bogged down at times, has bad sound,
doesn't support a lot of advanced 3D graphics, etc.  In other words,
it will work if it is your only option or someone is giving you one
for free.