[WBEL-users] xscreensaver/LDAP problem

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling at birddog.com
Thu Jan 27 12:01:05 CST 2005

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 09:19:02AM -0500, Jim Buchanan wrote:
> At my company we are switching over to LDAP authentication.
>
> We are running WBEL 3.0 Respin 1 (as well as some RedHat versions).
>
> Using the man pages and Google, we got everything to accept LDAP
> authentication through PAM except xscreensaver.
>
> Some info/example files:
>
> authconfig command used:
>
> authconfig --disablemd5 --disableshadow --enablenis --nisdomain=<our NIS domain> --enableldaptls --enableldapauth --ldapserver="<our ldap servers>" --kickstart

I've gotten this to work no problem if you enable shadow and md5sum,
and disable nis.  Do you actually have an /etc/shadow and
/etc/passwd file?  I wonder if xscreensaver is looking for a file
and failing because you lack it.  It might be instructional to run
"xscreensaver" as root via strace (or with an LD_PRELOAD that will
print out all the files it attempts to open).  That or just read the
code.

The PAM configuration obviously works, I've seen xscreensaver work
with PAM and LDAP in conjunction.  So the most logical conclusion I
can come to is that xscreensaver is dying during the authentication
process because your setup is something it really didn't expect.

	Thanks,
		Kirby