[WBEL-users] yum broken after upgrade

Luke Scharf lscharf at aoe.vt.edu
Sun Jan 30 11:29:51 CST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 12:07, Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:
> Well I just fetched the latest upgrades (which included several rpm
> packages) and now all of a sudden yum is broken...
>
> [javanree at www rpm]$ sudo yum info
> rpmdb: Program version 4.2 doesn't match environment version
> error: db4 error(22) from dbenv->open: Invalid argument
> error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Invalid argument (22)
> error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 30, in ?
>     yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
>   File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 163, in main
>     (log, errorlog, filelog, conf, cmds) = parseCmdArgs(args)
>   File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 75, in parseCmdArgs
>     conf=yumconf(configfile=yumconffile)
>   File "/usr/share/yum/config.py", line 155, in __init__
>     self.yumvar['releasever'] = self._getsysver()
>   File "/usr/share/yum/config.py", line 285, in _getsysver
>     idx = ts.dbMatch('provides', self.distroverpkg)
> TypeError: rpmdb open failed
>
> Did I miss anything? Going over the mailing lists no mention of any issues
> so far...

I did two things.  I went to a WBEL3 system that didn't have this
problem and did a "tar -pzcvf rpm.tar.gz `rpm -ql rpm | grep -v '^/var'"
and restored the files on the affected system.  No luck.

Then I rebooted for another reason -- and it worked happily from then
on.

WTF?  Rebooting to make a database readable is way too Windowsesque for
my taste.  But, it's back up and running for the users -- and that's
what really matters.

-Luke