[WBEL-users] WBEL 4 and sendmail replacing exchange

Laurikainen, Tuukka t.laurikainen at ibermatica.com
Fri Jul 1 07:13:51 CDT 2005

Hi there,

I've recently installed a linux machine as a mail gateway using Qmail
and LDAP authentication (LDAP works easily with Qmail) in a similar
environment you described, also using SpamAssasin. Antivirus checking is
not a problem either; a lot of documentation exists in the net about
this kind of setups.
Anyway, I think that if you're authenticating from the AD, a samba
version 3 and winbind would do it (as mentioned in another mail by Scott
Silva). I've done this for authenticating users and groups from AD for
ssh logins to Linux boxes using PAM modules as well as for testing user
authentication for Squid (NTLM authentication).

There are other issues in this kind of migration tasks however. For
example if you change from Exchange to an MTA you mentioned as your main
mail server, you loose the calendar functionality, which might be an
important feature in an enterprise. Also, be sure to plan the client
side migration well (the client your users use for email and possibly
other tasks) if needed.
In general, a mail gateway for Exchange should be easy to implement with
Linux, but migrating the whole Exhange system (which is not just the
MTA) is more complicated. There are also commercial options for Linux
for migrating away from MS Exchange, like the SUSE Openexchange Server
(which works with Outlook clients too).

As for the mailbox migration tools, I suppose there does exist
commercial migration solutions. Haven't done any search though (I do
have seen some companies offering mailbox migration tools/services for
Lotus Notes, Exhange, Sendmail..). Novel

Regards,

tuukka