[WBEL-users] Updates?

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Thu Jul 7 18:01:18 CDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 18:39, Vic wrote:

> Is this a transient problem? A flamingo-up on my part?

Part design, part screwup here.  I started pushing a boatload of errata,
covering U5 and some beyond.  It was so large I put it out over three
days, waiting for the mirrors to catch it each time.  Tuesday would have
been the day to update headers.  Then all hell broke loose here.

The recent downtime on the web server and mailing lists isn't the
previously announced network swapover, that has been pushed back a week
or two because SOMETHING happened to the server providing our primary
Internet presence.  About 4pm local time it went down hard enough to
require pushing the reset button and when it came back the primary
partition was toast.  Not a drive failure though, it is a hardware RAID5
and doesn't report a problem nor are the other partitions on the same
array scrambled.  And yes, it is running WBEL3 but has been running
nicely for over a year without a problem.   Actually, this is the first
time I can recall losing data to an ext2/3 filesystem that didn't
involve hardware failure, and I go back to Yggdrasil.

This only a week or two after a brand spanking new dual Opteron fell
over before it could enter service and now today an ancient Sun IPX
(don't ask) that NEVER fails, was found sitting at the PROM monitor.
Bad mojo here. Yes it is thunderstorm season in Louisiana but everything
is sitting on big honking TripLite rackmount UPSes connected to
dedicated circuits.  In the imortal words of Han Solo, "It's not my
fault!"  :)

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!