[WBEL-users] Error 500

Jan-Albert van Ree javanree at vanree.net
Mon Jul 11 15:36:09 CDT 2005

On Monday 11 July 2005 22:11, Thomas E Dukes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This may be a little off topic.
>
> How do you display files in a directory without getting 'Error 500'.  An
> example would be the files located on the various mirrors for WBEL.  I
> don't think it's a permission problem as setting the directory and files
> to 777 doesn't help.

I'm assuming you mean for a webserver?
You'll need to edit the /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf , assuming you're using
Apache (if not I can't help you and the rest is irrelevant)

For each main directory that holds webserver files you'll find a section
beginning with

<Directory /var/www/html>

and ending with

</Directory>

In between are the options for that directory and ALL it's subdirectories,
unless those are defined again elsewhere in the configuration or in
a .htaccess file.

You'll need to add the "Indexes" Option to the directory section.
However this is a bad thing security-wise, PLEASE read the Apache
documentation and try to set up a small separate section, or use
a .htaccess file to set the needed options.
--
Jan-Albert van Ree  | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/
VanRee IT Solutions | http://www.vanree.net