[WBEL-users] Frustrations on x86_64

Daniel J. Summers daniel at djs-consulting.com
Wed Jul 20 21:07:04 CDT 2005

Good evening.

I'm becoming quite frustrated with my WBEL 4 x86_64 install.  This isn't
a slam on the product - I'm grateful for it, and I'm sure there's a
critical piece of information that I'm missing that makes it really,
really useful indeed (apologies to Thomas the Tank Engine).  Rather, the
point of this is to ask for help, as I've researched this stuff and come
up empty.

What is the trick to building things under this architecture?  Some
packages bomb in the ./configure step.  Some compile fine, but if you
use the --enable-shared=yes directive (as you have to, to use these with
other things), gcc gripes about not being able to relocate a label (or
something like that).  OpenOffice.org doesn't run, and the work-around,
I've been told, is to install the i686 version too.  To me, this seems
strange - is that what RH tells their folks?  The installer is a rebuild
of RH's installer, so if it fails for us, surely it's also failing for
them.  (Or is it?  Am I wrong to think that this is a kludgey fix?
Should I download the oo.o source and try building it on my machine?)

Oddly enough, xine and xine-ui built perfectly - download the tarball,
rpmbuild -ta, and install - good to go.  I'm even hosting these rpms on
my website, and have had over 600 downloads in the past 2 months, with
no one e-mailing me saying "hey, this crap didn't work!" - so they must
be good.

I guess I'm just grasping at straws, trying to figure out what in the
world the difference is (both between xine and something like liba52,
and i686 and x86_64).  I ran WBEL 3 on an Athlon XP box fine for over a
year, until the hardware began having stability issues.  And, I can tell
that the 64-bit WBEL 4 runs the machine much more efficiently than the
32-bit Windows - I can tell that just by how much the fan comes on (or
doesn't).

Maybe I'm missing the whole "shared module" concept - I'm trying to get
transcode to work, and I've found x86_64 rpms for all requirements
except two, and these are the two that gripe about not being able to
relocate.

--
*Daniel J. Summers*
E-mail - 	daniel at djs-consulting.com <mailto:daniel at djs-consulting.com>

GEEKCODE 3.12 GCS/IT d s-:+ a C++ L++ E--- W++ N++ o? K- w !O M--
V PS+ PE++ Y? !PGP t+ 5? X+ R* tv b+ DI++ D+ G- e h---- r+++ y++++