[WBEL-users] yum update going no where

William Hooper whooperhsd2 at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 22 14:51:49 CDT 2005

Alon wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> For the past couple of hours I've tried to run:
>

> yum update
>
> but all I'm getting is:
>
> :/etc/httpd/conf # yum update
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: White Box Enterprise Linux 3.0 - i386 - Base
> Server: White Box Enterprise Linux 3.0 - i386 - Released Updates
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Resolving dependencies
> .....Unable to satisfy dependencies
> Package MyODBC needs libmysqlclient.so.10, this is not available.

So MyODBC wants the older mysql libraries.

> I have myql version
> # mysql --version
> mysql  Ver 12.22 Distrib 4.0.23, for pc-linux (i686)

But you have installed a newer version of MySQL.

> and I don't want to downgrade it. For whatever reason I'm being prompted
> with d/l of version 3.2.3 libraries if I uncomment the mysql section.

It is trying to satisfy the MyODBC requirement.

> If you have a better configuration, please let me know.
> I'm running DirectAdmin on my box.

You need either a version of MyODBC that is linked against the new
libraries, or an RPM with the older libraries.  IIRC the older library is
provided by the MySQL-shared-compat RPM that you can download from the
same place you got the newer MySQL RPM.

--
William Hooper