[WBEL-users] Shutdown / halt - manually shutting down.

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling at birddog.com
Wed Jun 8 21:37:52 CDT 2005

Alon,

	Hmmm, I have used that same kernel and it will shut down no
problem on my desktop machine.  What I have been informed of, and
seems to be uniformially accurate, is that SMP kernels will *NOT*
power down.  I've never seen a SMP kernel in the 2.4 series that
did.  (I'm hedging, I can't remember if the 2.2 on RH6.2 would or
not off hand).  Possibly I don't have the APCI or whatever enabled
that is suggested later in this thread, but by default I've never
seen an SMP kernel do it.  (For whatever it's worth, you aren't
alone in the world).

    I've got a dozen SMP makes and models at work.  Not a one of
them will ever shutdown.  They'll reboot no problem.  Shutdown, not
a chance.  I have no idea why that is, but my guess is that if you
booted the same machine w/ a uni-processor kernel, it'd shutdown
fine.  I've never investigated the matter, I've just accepted it as
a limitation.  Then pressed the power button.

    Thanks,
        Kirby

PS:  Mutt seems to believe you are replying to a thread about IDE
controllers.  If you are just replying to a handy message to avoid
typing "whitebox-users at beau.org", it's very jarring to people who
follow e-mail threads with clients that support it.