[WBEL-users] badram

Vic whitebox at beer.org.uk
Thu Jun 9 08:09:05 CDT 2005

> Red Hat will probably never release a kernel for bad ram since enterprise
> users discharge their defective ram.
> But I would like to keep my 512MB Ram although it has a bad zone..
> So, will WB ever release a kernel patched for badram?

Shouldn't think so.

The stated goal of WBEL is to remain as close the RHEL as possible; that
kinda precludes this sort of patch.

> I've never rebuild a kernel before so if you've done this, some pointers
> would be appreciated.

Building kernels is not as difficult as it sounds, but you might like to
stick to the SRPM and patch that.

If you install the SRPM, you'll find a .spec file in
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS, and various patches in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ .
Add your patch (with an appropriate name) to those in
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ , tell the build process about it in
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS/kernel-<something>.spec, and rebuild with rpmbuild
-ba <specfile>.

Don't forget to change versioning info in the specfile, or you'll be
tracking this patch forever...

HTH

Vic.