[WBEL-users] Permissions (Was Problems after updates)

Jean Lee jean.lee at free.fr
Fri Jun 10 08:31:31 CDT 2005

Johnny Hughes wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 12:17 +0200, Jean Lee wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>yesterday, I did an update of my server. I didn't do it since 6 months
>>(i know that it's not good) so I had more than 200 updates. Well, I typed
>>yum check-update
>>then
>>yum update
>>
>>downlaoding headers and rpm packages where OK
>>
>>When upgrading the packages I had some installation which had warnings.
>>I didn't note these messages because I thought that they were logged in
>>/var/log/yum.log. Unfortunately, they were not (if somebody knows why,
>>thank you for your comment !!). I think that the warnings were something
>>with missing filetypes but I didn't remember exactly.
>>I upgraded the kernel sources and the kernel too. (Old kernel was 2.4.21-4).
>>
>>Know, when I boot , I have the following error :
>>
>>Configuring kernel parameters : syscl : error while loading shared
>>libraries : libproc.so.2.0.13. cannot open shared object file : No such
>>file or directory.
>>
>>I have the same error with "setting network parameters" during boot and
>>"shutting down iptables (ipV4)" when shut down.
>>
>>Does anybody knows what is the purpose of this library and how I can
>>solve this error?
>>How can I check if all my system is OK ? (IP forwarding works fine but
>>with these messages I am not sure of anything now).
>>

>One thing to try is a
>
>"yum upgrade"
>
>Which does slightly different things (handles obsoletes).
>
>The package that provides that file (/lib/libproc.so.2.0.x)
>
>for me is "procps" ... you might want to re-install that manually.

Hi,

Yum upgrade doesn't do anything.

I tried to install manually procps like this :

- Downloading the latest procps update on a mirror site (ESAT)
- su
- password for root
- rpm -i procps-"version"

Here, I have an error telling me that /bin/ps cannot be renamed because
I don't have the permissions

Well :
- cd /bin
- "ls ps" returns ps in mode 555
- chmod 755 ps

Here I have an error :
I don't have the permission to change permissions of "/bin/ps"

How is it possible because I am logged as root ?
What am I doing wrong ?

Thank you for any help,

Jean LEE