[WBEL-users] building rpm from tar.gz

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling at birddog.com
Mon Jun 13 23:33:33 CDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 12:00:55PM +0800, Plug N Play wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm trying to build rpm from a source (tar.gz).
>
> I've tried to google but it seems to be too much complicated.
> The documentation I had found are not well documented and
> I find it very confusing.
>
> If anyone will be willing to share links or docs are highly appreciated.
>
> I'm building postfix from tar.gz by the way.

Read the man page for rpmbuild.

Assuming there is a spec file in the tarball, all you should have to
do is: rpmbuild -ta foo.tar.gz

This might not work if you don't have permissions to the appropriate
area.  You can run the commands as root (potential security risk), or
configure your .rpmrc or .rpmmacros.

Dumping something like this:
%_topdir    /home/username/rpm

into a file named ".rpmmacros" in your home directory will cause
RPM's to be built at /home/username/rpm.  You have to create a
handful of directories in there.

This is the list of directories I have in there:
BUILD
RPMS
SOURCES
SPECS
SRPMS

If you posted the actual link to the tarball I could just e-mail the
commands I used to get it built.  Alternatively, you might look at
freshrpms and DAG to see if they have it nicely packaged.  I'd go
look for you, but right now, my network connection is swamped and
I'm having trouble pulling up DAG right now, and it appears
freshrpms doesn't make it obvious where RHEL3/WBEL3 compatible RPM's
are.  I'm assuming that Fedora Core 1 RPM's are still close to
RHEL3.

If you run the rpmbuild command as root, the binaries will be under:
/usr/src/redhat/

Any reason you want to use the one from the tarball?  It appears on
rpmfind.net, that there are several SRPM's from Fedora Core 1-4 that
you could be using as an SRPM to see if you can get that to build.

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=postfix&submit=Search+...&system=fedora&arch=

    Thanks,
        Kirby