[WBEL-users] Another Shell Scripting Question

Vincent Raffensberger Vincent.Raffensberger at dtn.com
Wed Jun 15 11:41:37 CDT 2005

'pgrep' will give you the pid:

$ pgrep ntpd
2106

'pkill' could kill it for you.  See the manpage.

If you want specific ps info for a process, you could ask for it along
with the fields you want instead of using cut or awk.
See the manpage for all the different fields you can select.  Here's an
example:

$ ps -p `pgrep ntpd` -o pcpu,pmem,start,pid,cmd
%CPU %MEM  STARTED   PID CMD
 0.0  0.2   Jun 13  2106 ntpd -N -b -g -u ntp:ntp -p /var/run/ntpd.pid

If you must grep the full ps output, you can omit the grep process like
this:

$ ps aux | grep [n]tp
ntp       2106  0.0  0.2  5052 5052 ?        SLs  Jun13   0:01 ntpd -N
-b -g -u ntp:ntp