[WBEL-users] WBEL 4 imap server

Karanbir Singh Mail-Lists at karan.org
Thu Jun 16 04:25:08 CDT 2005

Larry Apolonio wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm thinking of moving to WBEL 4 from Red Hat 9.  The big thing that
> scares me is all of my procmail stuff will break when going from wu-imap
> to cyrus.  There's also going to be that whole change from mbox style to
> mdir.

Depending on size of the organisation you are doing this for - the move
is going to be well worth it. There are tools / scripts available that
will help move from mbox to mdir.

> Couple of questions
>
> With hundreds of thousands of emails, wouldn't it be better to go to a
> reiser file system?

ext3 works well for me on EL4, a few hundreds of thousand emails per day
coming in over MailScanner into commodity h/w hosted CyrusIMAPD. Plus,
way too many horror stories going around to even consider reiserfs on a
production machine :)

> Any experiences and horror stories I should know about?  I'm am thinking
> of just moving to WBEL3 which may be a smoother move.  Or is wu-imap for
> WBEL available?

The performance increase from wu-imap to cyrus-imapd is one thing that
makes the shift worth making. I find it interesting that you are even
considering wu-imap for a "hundreds of thousands" imap store.

How much of an effort is it likely to be rewriting the procmail rules as
sieve filters ? Maybe worth scripting something ?

--
Karanbir Singh   : http://www.karan.org/
GnuPG Public Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc