[WBEL-users] Hi, again

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling at birddog.com
Sat Jun 18 18:33:15 CDT 2005

On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 03:38:27PM -0400, Ing. Manuel León Moreno wrote:
> Hi to everyone.
>
> Thanks for the answers. But I really wanted to know how to control
> the monitor automatic turn-off in text mode (not in the graphic mode),
> because i use the graphic part very little.
>
> If somebody can help me, i would appreciate that.
>
> Very Happy Father's Day to all fathers (at least, in Cuba tomorrow will
> be celebrated Father's Day; perhaps in other countries too).
>
> Cheers to everyone
>
> Leon

Leon,

    I know I've seen it explicitly set in older RedHat's (it used to
be in rc.sysinit).  However, I don't see it in WBEL3's rc.sysinit.

I was googling for results with this:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&biw=1192&q=Linux+console+blank+time&btnG=Search

After some looking, I found this entry:
http://empl.home.cern.ch/empl/update.html

Look at the 14 Sept '00 entry.  It says roughly that "setterm"
should do what you want.  It recommends you run "setterm -blank 1"
which according to the man page says, turn off the screen after a
minute of in-activity.  I'm guessing the behavior to be
"setterm -blank 0".  You can either run that as root every time you
boot, or add it to the end of "/etc/rc.d/rc.local".

I have no idea if it works, but according the to the man page for
setterm, it sure reads like it should do what you want.  There are
several other "Power Save" options in the setterm man page.  Things
might have changed since that advice was written.  So it might be
worth reviewing the entire thing.

    Thanks,
        Kirby

PS: Father's Day in the U.S. is celebrated here on Sunday.