[WBEL-users] Any additional steps needed to compile an EL kernel?

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 14:33:18 CDT 2005

I don't think there are separate kernel-source RPMs anymore, you'll
just need to grab the kernel SRPM and install that, that will contain
the kernel-${version}.tar.gz which you can then extract and link to
/usr/src/linux or, possibly more properly, you can use the SRPM to
create a custom RPM which is fairly easy too.

Install kernel-2.6.9-5.0.5.EL.src.rpm which will place a kernel SPEC
build file in /usr/src/whitebox/SPECS (this is for WBEL4, I think 3
would still be /usr/src/redhat/SPECS) and the kernel source tarball
and related RHEL patches in SOURCES.

You can part build the kernel binary RPM, change the EXTRAVERSION
somehow to prefix the kernel and its related files with a custom name
then finish off. Ah, I knew I'd seen it on the list before...

http://beau.org/pipermail/whitebox-users/2005-June/006578.html

Will.