[WBEL-users] Linux single

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 07:15:32 CDT 2005

Assuming you're using Grub, from memory I think it's as follows...

When presented with the boot screen press any key to interrupt the
boot, then hit 'e' to edit, cursor down to a kernel or initrd line,
hit 'e' again and add 'single' to the end of the line. Hit 'enter',
then 'enter' again and you should boot single user.

If it's something you find yourself doing often you could add another
entry in grub.conf specifically for single user, something like...

title White Box Enterprise Linux Single User Mode (2.6.9-5.0.5.EL)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-5.0.5.EL ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
        initrd /initrd-2.6.9-5.0.5.EL.img single

Will.