[WBEL-users] Port information for 9865 and 44464

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Fri Jun 24 03:50:56 CDT 2005

I hafta admit: it doesn't look good.

A few things to try:

lsof | less
(look thru the list, see if anything jumps out at you. It's a LONG list)

netstat -ln
(helps you see why the ports are open)

Don't forget chkrootkit (google for it)

Other things: do a `find / -iname \.\*` to find "dot" (hidden) files. Look
thru /tmp closely. Look thru /var/log/messages, /var/log/httpd/error_log and
any other HTTPD log files. If you can find out approx. when a compromise took
place, use find with the "mtime" and "ctime" options to find any files
created within a day or so of that initial hack.

More info from a honeypot project:
http://www.honeynet.org/scans/scan29/sol/ydjemaiel/Answers.html

Best of luck,

-Ben

On Friday 24 June 2005 01:32, Plug N Play wrote:
> Dear WBL Users,
>
> Greetings,
>
> Today, I have discovered two new high ports opened from my server. Port 9865
> and 44464 are both opened and listening to outside. Would anyone happen to
> know or have idea that you can share regarding this two ports?
>
> Also I tried to telnet them (telnet localhost 9865 or 44464) and it gives me
> a (sh-2.05b$). Could this mean a hacker has setup a backdoor? or I'm already
> being compromised?
>
> Any information would be very much appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Marc
>

> --

- XEROX PARC slogan, circa 1978