[WBEL-users] WBEL and Oracle 9i tunning

Sam Hillaire samhillaire at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 13:51:41 CDT 2005

Erick-

As an Oracle database administrator, I would like to point out that tuning Oracle databases on any
hardware platform is an evolutionary process.  Tune the slowest part, then move on to the next
slowest part, etc.

There is no cut and dried answer for "tuning" an Oracle database.  There are general rules of
thumb, but without explaining all of the logic behind them, they will be meaningless for most
people.

I've performance tuned PeopleSoft applications, data warehouse loading procedures, and custom
development, and usually the OS has very little in terms of impact on most Oracle databases.

Crucial questions like what version of Oracle are you using (it does matter), how did you layout
your database across the disks, what is your realistic goal in terms of user response, how large
will the database grow, what kind of application are your running (OLTP or DSS), etc are vital for
performance tuning.

Is a database benchmark application worth anything?  No, not really.  I can get you a kick-ass
system that will perform great under benchmarks, but if the application and the corresponding
database setup is crap then performance under the application will be crap.  No tuning of the OS
will make any sort of difference.

If you don't have the time/money to bring in an Oracle DBA, then my greatest suggestion would be
to move to Oracle10g.  The management interface for Oracle10g is leaps and bounds past 9i, and
includes a well designed performance management interface (not pure TPC-C), but realistic
measurements in terms of seconds, CPU%, disk utilization rates, etc.

Quick opinions on the articles given to you:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5840 - What's stated in the article have been rules of thumb
for the industry for about 5 years.  Oracle had very poorly designed database creation software
that has been revamped and today, works for generic databases out of the box; the above article
tries to correct prior Oracle's abysmal database creation.

http://www.puschitz.com/OracleOnLinux.shtml - Most of the articles on Werner Puschitz's site are
configuration articles in order to setup the OS so that you can install Oracle.  Before Werner's
site, Oracle had very poor documentation for Linux installs.  Now, Oracle's instruction for Linux
installs rival or surpass Werner's, because Oracle focused on Linux to make it their premier
platform.

Good luck on your project,
Sam Hillaire