[WBEL-users] WBEL and Oracle 9i tunning

Sam Hillaire samhillaire at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 16:11:35 CDT 2005

Since I understand the different "jobs" comment, what *you* want is the prep guide for the Oracle
installation.

Here are a few of the best guides that can be found on the Internet:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/smiley_10gdb_install.html - Yes it lists Oracle10g,
but they have the same installation requirements

http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle9i.shtml - Werner developed one of the first Internet
guides

Tips:  as a sysadm, pay careful attention to the following:  rpm package versioning and
installation (shouldn't matter with a RHEL3 U4 or U5 install), kernel parameter settings (very
important, else the database won't start), gcc renaming and soft-linking (very important, else
Oracle want finish installing), getting your DBA to download the patch p3006854_9204_LINUX.zip
from Oracle (also very important, this will solve a later linking/relinking issue), and setting
shell limits for the oracle user (important, else the database won't start).  User account and
group creation is a little more flexible but I would still include the group 'dba' in addition to
whatever else your database person requires.  One extra nicety that I got my sysadmins to do for
me is to setup sudo for the following (this all depends on how much you trust your database person
because you shouldn't chown the file/make it read-only since the file changes):

(root): $ORACLE_HOME/root.sh  - obviously replace $ORACLE_HOME with the actual directory name.
This will help with later patchset and patch installs and relinking after kernel upgrades.

One other thing, if you are feeling really nice, download the Oracle 9i 9.2.0.4 from here:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/oracle9i/htdocs/linuxsoft.html .  Version
9.2.0.4 is a much better place to start from (the install goes much more easily) than earlier
downloadable or CD-ROM versions.

Hope this helps,
Sam Hillaire