[WBEL-users] Re: WBEL and Oracle 9i tunning

kirby kirby at igalaxy.net
Mon Jun 27 16:14:49 CDT 2005

So you are only working the OS side ...

Well a big part of tuning is a bit of a dance between hardware, Sys Admin,
and DBA since you want to maximize through put.  Do the disks support async
io?  How are the disks laid out?  The DBA may try to place files to work
with the file layout.  RAID5 or RAID 0+1 (or 1+0)... Depends on how much
hardware you have available and choice depends on how write-intensive the
database is.... So, no simple answer ...

A starting point is:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Oracle
-9i-RH8-and-RH9-HOWTO.html

At the minimum to get everything ready for the DBA...
1) Create the oracle user
2) Get the kernel parameters right
3) Check for package dependencies (there were a couple of RPM's I installed
on the last install)
4) Install the sun JDK
5) Stage the CD's for the DBA
6) Make sure the oracle user has rights to the disks you plan on having them
use.

There will also be one script during install that needs to be run as root.

And since you are just getting the install going I would take a hard look at
10g.  My experience has been that 10g and 9i are both stable.

For the definitive documentation, which should be on the CD's:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/pdf/B14399_01.pdf - 10g install guide for
Linux
http://download.oracle.com/docs/pdf/A96167_01.pdf - 9i install guide for
Linux